Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fear and Loathing in Ep Titles

Whenever I drive to Vegas, I always think about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I thought I'd stick with the Fear and Loathing theme for this week's fun with ep titles.

First I looked for other locations that cause fear and loathing. Easy enough:
  • Fear and Loathing in Endsville (''The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy,'' )
  • Fear and Loathing in Georgetown (''I'm a Big Girl Now,'' 1/9/1981)
  • Fear and Loathing in Gotham (''Jack & Jill,'' 11/14/1999)
  • Fear and Loathing in Los Arboles (''Digimon: Digital Monsters,'' 11/14/2002)
  • Fear and Loathing in Manhattan (''Herman's Head,'' 12/22/1991)
  • Fear and Loathing in Miami (''Good Morning, Miami,'' 3/13/2003)
  • Fear and Loathing in Palm Beach (''Silk Stalkings,'' 10/11/1998)
  • Fear and Loathing in Pleasantville (''Big Wolf on Campus,'' 8/19/2000)
  • Fear and Loathing in Rutherford (''3rd Rock from the Sun,'' 10/31/2000)
  • Fear and Loathing in the Milky Way (''Andromeda,'' 4/9/2001)
Then I looked for variations of this theme. Slightly different words, rhymes, synonyms. And I have to say I was shocked. So little creativity. I found only one title that follows the form, "____ and ____ing in ____".
  • Fear and Falling in Montana (''Caitlin's Way,'' 3/19/2000)
So disappointing. Maybe writers didn't want to offend a city? Maybe they only used "____ and ____ing" variants?:
  • Beer and Loathing (''King of the Hill,'' 4/14/2002)
  • Fear and Clothing (''Will & Grace,'' 10/19/2000)
  • Fur and Loathing (''CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,'' 10/30/2003)
A little better, but still very anticlimactic. I really expected to find "Here and Loathing Las Vegas" for the title of the vacation-to-Vegas-from-hell episode of some random sitcom.

No comments: