Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Time Is Movie

Nets are having severe difficulties filling time and are quickly running out of ideas for weekends — and even some weekdays.

Why do I say that? Apparently, movie night is coming back.

MyNetworkTV has been running "My Thursday Night Movie" and "My Friday Night Movie" since the middle of March. MyNet even added "My Tuesday Night Movie" for the summer. These movies consistently outdraw the original soaps, "American Heiress" and "Saints & Sinners."

Take a look at last Saturday's primetime net schedule. NBC? Scary Movie. ABC? Ruffian. CBS? Die Another Day. ION? Larger Than Life and No Mercy.

Apparently, MTV even hit the same roadblock. On June 1, 2007 Viacom filed trademark documents to protect MTV's Friday Night Flix. With its recent string of failed series, such as "Taquita & Kaui" and "TwentyFourSeven", even MTV is running out of shows to repeat as schedule filler. I wonder whether "Friday Night Flix" will feature movies that were once nominated for MTV Movie Awards?

I wouldn't think a sports network would have the same problem though, but I would be wrong. Versus is also going to feature a movie night. On June 6, 2007 Outdoor Life Network (dba Versus) filed paperwork to protect 5 Scar Cinema for "on-going television programs in the field of motion picture entertainment."

No comments: